Kirkwood Regional Center
[Kirkwood Regional Center] In fall 2015, the 100,000-square-foot Kirkwood Regional Center at the University of Iowa will open in the UI Research Park, the result of a unique collaboration involving Kirkwood Community College, the University of Iowa, and school districts in and around Iowa City.
In addition to housing a variety of Kirkwood programs, the center will include a dedicated STEM floor used by the University of Iowa and the Governor’s Southeast Regional STEM Hub.
The UI’s involvement with the center presents unique opportunities for collaboration, mentoring, research, career preparation, and the development of innovative teaching/learning ecosystems and career pathways across the STEM disciplines for K-12, community college, and university students and educators.
- It will be the only Kirkwood regional center paired with a university.
- A world-class research institution with Iowa’s only college of medicine, the UI can provide students with rich opportunities to learn from and work with researchers using cutting-edge tools and systems like the National Advanced Driving Simulator, located next door to the center.
- The uniquely collaborative environment will allow educators to design and implement innovative courses in a wide variety of disciplines, including STEM and STEAM; Iowa businesses to identify potential interns and future employees; and students to accelerate their academic and professional careers while saving money.
- The center will present rich opportunities to enhance the development of pre-service STEM educators through the University of Iowa College of Education.
- Alongside the Iowa Governor’s Southeast Regional STEM Hub, which will be co-housed in the facility, the center will be positioned to more effectively promote and support careers in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields, enriching the experience for students pursuing technical jobs as well as for those who choose to pursue advanced degrees and research.
- The center’s unique approach to combining learning and experience and helping students succeed from “cradle to career” promise to make it a national model for STEM education in the 21st century.
For more information about the University of Iowa’s role in the center, contact Mark McDermott in the UI College of Education at 319-335-5591, or firstname.lastname@example.org.